If your performance benchmark is MartinLogan's most ambitious floorstanding hybrid electrostatic loudspeakers, it's going to be quite a challenge to achieve that level of accuracy and impact in an in-wall speaker.
Challenge accepted. The Statement 40XW is a triumph of audio engineering. Its performance (and sheer size) rivals the very best of their electrostatic models, with full-on speed and high-frequency accuracy, incredibly detailed midrange, and lifelike deep bass impact. And yet it takes up absolutely no space in your room and vanishes into any decor.
It's an incredible sixteen tweeters, and sixteen mid-range drivers, and eight woofers, arrayed in a line-source design and built directly into your wall, delivering awe-inspiring levels of full-spectrum dynamic output even in the largest listening areas.
The keys to this performance are superior components and innovative design. The multi-driver design allows each driver and tweeter to operate with extreme efficiency. This combination of high-resolution drivers, each working to offset the demands on the others, results in a highly accurate and distortion-free performance, even during the most demanding sonic passages, and even at realistic volume levels. The large line-source design also ensures the same sonic impact over a large area of listening positions. There's no drop-off, as can be the case with smaller, point-source designs.
With each channel featuring a mind-boggling forty drivers, you simply have to hear the Statement 40XW to believe it.
The Benefits of Line Source Configuration
The line-source design, a tall vertical array of identical sets of drivers, shares significant characteristics with hybrid electrostatic loudspeakers—something MartinLogan knows a little about.
Like electrostatic speakers, line-source arrays restrict vertical dispersion, eliminating the majority of a room's performance-destroying sound reflections.
In the Statement 40XW, the combination of the natural 80-degree horizontal dispersion pattern of the Folded Motion XT tweeters, and the sheer 52-inch-tall cliff of vertical tweeters, minimizes side-wall, floor, and ceiling reflections whose short arrival times tend to interfere with our perception of "direct" sound.
The result is a broad, enveloping soundstage, with an accurate, lifelike rendering of the most subtle imaging details, even in an ample listening space.
Surprisingly Discreet Installation
Whether you are designing a new listening room from the ground up or retrofitting a room back to the studs, it's the perfect time to incorporate built-in audio. And if you're planning a larger than average space, it's worth considering a massive line-source loudspeaker that both vanishes into your decor, and puts even the farthest seat in the sweet spot.
The Statement 40XW incorporates a reinforced, sealed, acoustically-inert back box enclosure that isolates and decouples the drivers from the wall surface. This sealed box enclosure, with its uniform volume and material, eliminates in-wall variables from the acoustic equation, guaranteeing a consistent, accurate performance in any installation.
The sealed design also effectively eliminates audio leak-through into adjoining rooms. It fits comfortably between studs and works with both 1/2- or 5/8-inch wallboard.
The low-profile, paintable, micro-perforated grille presents a clean, near-invisible aesthetic. One of the world's most incredible audio performances, from practically invisible loudspeakers!
- Frequency Response: 48–25,000 Hz ± 3 dB
- Tweeter Dispersion (horizontal x vertical): 80° x 52-inch line source
- Sensitivity: 95 dB @ 2.83 volts/ meter
- Impedance: 4 ohms. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 ohm rated amps.
- Crossover Frequency: 300, 2700 Hz
- High-Frequency Driver: Sixteen 1.25 x 2.4 inch (3.2 x 6.1 cm) Folded Motion XT Obsidian transducer with 4.5 x 2.75 inch (11.4 x 7 cm) diaphragm.
- Mid-Frequency Drivers: Sixteen 3.5-inch (8.9 cm) black unidirectional carbon fiber multi-section cone with Nomex® backer and cast aluminum basket, sealed back chamber format. Concave dust cap.
- Low-Frequency Driver: Eight 6.5-inch (16.5 cm) black unidirectional carbon fiber multi-section cone with Nomex® backer and cast aluminum basket, sealed back chamber format. Concave dust cap.
- Components: Custom air core coil inductors, polypropylene film capacitors, and low DF electrolytic capacitors.
- Suitable Amplifier Range: 50–800 watts
- Max Power Handling: 400 watts
- Binding Post Inputs: Push style (two sets for easy installation)
- Weight: 150 lb (68.1 kg)
- Required Wall Cavity (width):
- Minimum: 14.5 inch (368 mm)
- Maximum: 16.5 inch (420 mm)
- Required Wall Cavity (height, unobstructed): Minimum: 89 inch (2260 mm)
- Required Wall Cavity (depth): Minimum: 3.5 inch (89 mm)
- Enclosure (width x height x depth, excludes padding): 14.3 x 84.2 x 3.4 inch (361 x 2137 x 86 mm)
- Grille (height x width): 11.5 x 59.5 inch (292 x 1511 mm)